An Accra based radio station, Top Radio, and its sister television station, Top Tv, have been closed down by officials of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) because they do not have adequate fire safety measures.
The action by the GNFS followed a fire outbreak on the company’s premises at Kokomlemle last Sunday.
Preliminary investigations by the service revealed that the fire safety measures at the two stations were not up to standard.
The organisation had its main transmission room, which stores the radio and TV links and other transmission equipment, razed by fire at 7 a.m. last Sunday.
As a result of the fire outbreak, all commercial activities of the station have halted.
Following the incident, officials from the Fire Hydrant Inspection and Monitoring Unit of the GNFS inspected the facility yesterday and declared that it was not safe to operate until the place was rehabilitated and certified by the GNFS.
The team also used the occasion to visit the Multimedia Group Company, Peace FM and New Times Corporation to acquaint themselves with the fire safety measures on their premises.
Briefing journalists after the inspection, the Director of Safety at the GNFS, Deputy Chief Fire Officer Mr Michael Yarqua Top Radio lacked the required safety measures, including fire and heat detectors and exits.
He said preliminary investigations conducted indicated that the facility did not have a fire certificate to operate, while the transmission room which got burnt was small, narrow and stuffy and was used for activities which involved high level power and voltage.
He explained that such facilities with heavy equipment such as transmitters needed to be safeguarded with adequate measures to prevent any fire outbreak.
Mr Yarquah said the media houses visited lacked some fire safety tools and equipment and they were, therefore, advised to put them in place within the next three weeks.
A Managing Partner of Top Multimedia Group, Mr Ekourba Gyasi, claimed that officials from the GNFS had been on the premises to inspect their fire safety measures on many occasions but they did not express any dissatisfaction until the fire incident occurred.
He blamed the fire outbreak on the erratic power supply which caused fluctuations.