The ninth edition of Africa’s biggest reality series BIG BROTHER AFRICA kicks off in September and already fans are asking…who will the new housemates be? Who will find their names and their faces gracing newspapers? Who will become the subject of drive time radio and just who will find themselves trending on all social media platforms?
Unlike previous years, this year’s entry process is slightly different as potential housemates are invited to come in their numbers for auditions in their respective country venues.
Auditions will take place at Ghana – Accra (Holiday Inn Hotel Airport) on 5 and 6 July 2014
AfricaMagic has always been associated with unearthing, nurturing and recognizing talent from around the continent; and Big Brother Africa is one of the shows that have become known for transforming ordinary citizens into stars.
“We are very grateful and remain pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming response that the show has been receiving over the years. We look forward to the selection of our potential housemates coming in large numbers to auditions at the specified venues and take that chance at being the next Big Brother star,” says M-Net Africa Regional Director (West Africa) Wangi Wa-Uzoukwu.
“The fact that the fans truly adore the show is all the motivation we need to keep it fresh and that is always made possible by the enthusiastic and fun-loving young Africans who will answer to Big Brother. We are rearing to go and we know that this will definitely be another exciting season that is full of quality entertainment!” she adds.
Her sentiments are echoed by Endemol MD Sivan Pillay who says, “We have been producing this series for M-Net for a number of seasons now and as partners, together we have seen this show grow to the phenomenon that it has become. We hope the season will be even better as we strive to improve on our offering season after season. We will not hold back on the quality and exciting unpredictability that has become synonymous with Big Brother Africa. Audiences and fans can expect yet another high quality production and of course, another group of fun-loving housemates who will keep you guessing on who will be left standing come day 91.”
MultiChoice Africa CEO Nico Meyer says: “As MultiChoice Africa we are always pleased to welcome each new season of Big Brother Africa onto our platforms and we applaud its amazing success and ability to bring together audiences from all across the continent.
The inclusion of Rwanda in this season is even more exciting as this displays that our reach and growth into the various sub-Saharan markets is going from strength to strength. We look forward to seeing further growth as well as the impressive social media presence that the show enjoys.”
All persons over the age of 21, who are citizens of one of the participating countries and have a valid passport, can enter Big Brother Africa 9.
If you are open-minded, bold and adventurous, that’s even better! Previous editions of Big Brother Africa have boasted huge cash prizes for winners and this it is no different as the prize money is USD 300 000.
Remember, entries are open to the following 14 countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 8 will be screened live 24/7 on DStv channels 197 and 198 while GOtv audiences will see highlights of the show, which begins on Sunday 7 September and is scheduled to run for 91 days. Big Brother Africa is produced by ENDEMOL SA.
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9
FAQ’S (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)
1. Why is AfricaMagic screening BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
Due to the demand for another BIG BROTHER AFRICA series, AfricaMagic has decided to screen the ninth season of the show.
2. How will BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 be different from previous seasons of Big Brother Africa?
As with all Big Brother series, the new season of Big Brother Africa will include surprises and unexpected innovations.
3. Which are the participating countries in BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
Botswana, Ghana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
4. Why is Angola not part of Big Brother Africa 9? Why has it been replaced by Rwanda?
Africa is a diverse and growing market and we are experiencing subscriber growth in new markets all the time. Rwanda has been identified as one of those key markets and with Angola having its first dedicated Big Brother Angola show which started on 25 May 2014, the business took a decision to include Rwanda.
5. Why isn’t my country included in BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9? Why is the show only limited to 14 countries? What are the qualifications to make a country part of the show?
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 will include 14 countries this year (Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
The countries are selected to participate in the series based on the popularity of the series format in those markets, as well as the large DStv subscriber bases established in these markets.
AfricaMagic greatly appreciates the support that the series receives in other markets and so will work to include those markets into the show in other ways, outside of having a housemate in the house. This means that audiences from across the continent can vote on the series, and that performers and special guests from their countries may be included in the series.
Big Brother has enjoyed a wide popularity across the continent and AfricaMagic is pleased that it draws support from Africans across borders and outside of the nationalities represented. This serves to highlight that Africans support other Africans regardless of where they live or what their nationality is.
6. How long will BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 last?
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 is scheduled to begin on Sunday 07 September, 2014 and will run for 91 days. The BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 Final is scheduled for Sunday 07 December 2014.
7. What is the prize for BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
Prize money for the series is USD 300 000.
8. Where is BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 being filmed?
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 will be filmed on location in South Africa.
9. Why is BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 being filmed in South Africa?
To ensure that a wide variety of countries can participate in BIG BROTHER AFRICA,
AfricaMagic made the decision to base the BIG BROTHER AFRICA house in South Africa. This ensures that AfricaMagic can invest more in the show’s production without having to contend with the higher logistics costs that arise when the show equipment moves location. However, the show will feature content from all of the participating countries.
10. Why did AfricaMagic ask people from my country to enter and to watch this show that I regard as immoral?
Research has shown that previous seasons of Big Brother Africa were widely watched throughout the continent. Also, the choice to enter the show and the choice to view the show is an individual one.
11. Who is the host of BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
The host of BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 will be announced at a later stage.
12. Where can I watch BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 will be screened live 24/7 for 91 days on DStv channels 197 and 198. GOtv audiences will also be able to watch highlights from the show. More info on screening times and channels will be announced closer to the show’s launch on Sunday 07 September 2014.
13. Will Nigerian audiences still have to ‘opt in’ to watch the 24/7 BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 channels on DStv?
Yes. Information on how this will work will be made available.
14. Who is producing BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 for AFRICAMAGIC?
The show will be produced for AFRICAMAGIC by ENDEMOL SA.
15. What is MultiChoice Africa’s role in BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
MultiChoice Africa is not producing BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9. MultiChoice Africa provides subscription services to the multi-channel, digital, pay-tv products DStv and GOtv on which BIG BROTHER AFRICA is shown.
16. What are the rules of BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
A rule-book is being finalized and will be distributed once completed. General rules will include – no contact with the world outside the Big Brother house, strictly no violence and an obligation to nominate fellow housemates for eviction.
17. Can DStv audiences restrict access to BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9 in their homes?
Programming for Big Brother including the 24 hour channel (channel s 197 and 198) will have restricted access through the parental guide functionality on the DStv decoder – so parents will be able control viewing of Big Brother.
18. When do housemates move into the house?
Housemates will enter the Big Brother house from Sunday 07 September 2014.
19. Will I be contacted about my entry?
AfricaMagic would like to thank all those people who auditioned for this year’s BIG BROTHER AFRICA housemate search. Without your enthusiasm for the series, it would be impossible to create it so your participation is greatly appreciated. Only if you are shortlisted for the show will you be contacted by the show’s production team.
20. Other than the USD 300 000 prize, will there be other prizes?
The prize money is guaranteed. However, in previous Big Brother series the last remaining Housemates were also awarded prizes such as holidays but this is not a given.
21. Who is eligible to enter BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
Anyone 21 years of age and older, who is a citizen of one of the 14 participating countries and in possession of a valid passport is able to enter. The show’s selection team is looking for housemates who are vocal, fluent in English, fun-loving, creative, original and articulate. Housemates are also expected be tolerant of views and lifestyle choices other than their own and must have the social flexibility to live in close proximity with others.
22. What can housemates bring into the house?
Housemates are given a rulebook stating exactly what kind of items they can bring into the house. However, no electronic equipment can be taken into the house. Big Brother will go through what housemates are taking into the house with them and reserves the right to remove any item/s that has been excluded as per the rulebook.
23. How much stuff can a housemate bring to the house?
Two suitcases. No clothing with prominent logos or labels will be allowed.
24. Are housemates allowed any contact at all with their families’ e.g. written correspondence?
No verbal or written communication is allowed with anyone outside the house, unless a housemate has an urgent family crisis and this is still subject to Big Brother’s discretion.
25. What happens if a housemate falls ill while in the house?
In the event of a housemate becoming ill, they will be given first aid or may have a nurse or doctor called in to attend to them. If their condition is serious, they will be admitted to a hospital accompanied by a member of the production staff and security personnel as it is strictly within the conditions of Big Brother to maintain minimal contact with the outside world. However, should their illness mean that they have to be away from the house for a long period, it is unlikely that Big Brother will allow them to return.
26. What happens if there is violence in or around the house? How will Big Brother handle this?
There is 24 hour monitoring of the house and there are strict security measures in place to ensure an immediate response. Further serious violent action carries with it the penalty of immediate eviction from the house.
27. Will there be nudity and sex in the Big Brother house? And will M-Net show nudity and sex to viewers of Big Brother Africa? Nudity and sex is not what the Big Brother reality show is about. We do, however, anticipate that there will be some semi-nudity screened, when the housemates are dressed in swimming attire and the like. More importantly, there will be a VIP subscription available for those viewers who wish to access the restricted scenes as Big Brother will not be broadcasting the nude scenes which includes Shower Hour. In addition, Channels 197 and 198 will carry an appropriate age restriction of 18 that will ensure the use of a parental guidance facility, which will help parents restrict viewing should they so wish; and throughout its duration Big Brother Africa 9 will be handled with sensitivity and discretion. Audiences are also reminded that Big Brother is created specifically for viewing by adult audiences.
28. Who is Big Brother?
Nobody knows, but he sets the rules for the house, and you want to be on his good side at all times whilst staying in the house.
29. What kind of tasks will be assigned to the housemates?
All tasks are reasonable and involve team play. They are for Big Brother to know, and for housemates to find out, but housemates will never be asked to perform anything outside acceptable ethical and moral standards.
30. How do the housemates get food provisions in the house?
Housemates are given a healthy daily allowance of basic foods. This diet includes vegetables, carbohydrates such as rice and maize meal, meat, poultry and fruit. Anything outside these foods is regarded as a luxury item, and may be ordered from a special shopping list provided by Big Brother. All meals in the house will have to be negotiated and agreed with by the other housemates.
31. Are housemates allowed to leave the Big Brother house if it gets too much?
Housemates are free to leave at any stage during the process, on the understanding that they cannot return and may be replaced by someone else. A minimum of 24 hours’ notice is normally requested by Big Brother to make departure arrangements. Housemates will be obliged to provide a reason for their exit to Big Brother in the diary room.
32. Are housemates locked into the BIG BROTHER AFRICA house?
All doors to the outside are locked, yes, but housemates are free to leave at any stage as long as they explain why and understand that once out of the house they cannot return. Big Brother can open the doors at a moment’s notice in the event of an emergency.
33. Will Big Brother keep housemates’ families updated while they are in the house?
Big Brother will have contact with their family should it be necessary due to illness or other arrangements but housemates may not request anything from their family nor request any messages to be passed on to their family.
34. How are housemates expected to behave in the house?
The Big Brother house is their home for the duration of their stay. Therefore they are expected to behave as naturally as they would in their own environment.
35. Will the cameras expose housemates when they are using the toilet facility?
Housemates will not be shown using the toilet facility. However, should this facility be used for any other purpose other than that what it is designed (e.g. conversations); it’s at Big Brothers discretion to use the footage.
36. Will housemates be allowed to practice their religion?
It is one of the prerequisites of joining the house that all members are tolerant, and any practices housemates wish to follow will be tolerated.
37. Will the housemates be permitted to discuss global, continental and local politics? The housemates can discuss matters of a political nature but these discussions cannot advocate hatred. Any housemate inciting violence through hate speech may face expulsion from the Big Brother Africa house.
38. Will housemates see no one for three months except the housemates?
This is correct, except for a psychologist, doctor or dentist should they request or require one. In certain instances, housemates may be asked to entertain or host a special guest.
39. How big is the House?
The house has a large living space and two communal bedrooms and is attached to a spacious garden. It also has one large open plan living area, kitchen, bathroom, toilet, diary room and storeroom. There are only two communal bedrooms. Housemates will have to share. However the house may have sections incorporated into it that Big Brother may choose to reveal at his discretion.
40. Can housemates buy stuff while in the house?
Housemates can only influence the group as to how they all should spend a communal budget. No individual purchases are allowed.
41. How do I get more information on BIG BROTHER AFRICA 9?
More information on BIG BROTHER AFRICA is available on www.bigbrotherafrica.com